Château Cos D'Estournel
Louis Gaspard d’Estournel inherited Cos and Pomys in 1791. Deeply convinced that the terroir of the hill of Cos was exceptional, he took many risks to enhance his estate, investing massively in the acquisition of neighboring land. He would expand his vineyard from 14 to 45 hectares. Forever passionate about innovation, he introduced numerous technical improvements including the use of glass stoppers and experimented with new grape varieties.
Louis Gaspard d’Estournel would live to see his wine designated a Deuxième Grand Cru du Médoc by the negociants of Bordeaux but sadly enough, he passed away two years before the 1855 Bordeaux Classification officially recognized Cos d’Estournel as a Second Growth Estate.