Château Mouton Rothchild
In 1853, Baron Nathaniel de Rothschild, wishing to serve his own wine to his prestigious guests, bought Château Brane-Mouton at auction. The estate, in Pauillac at the heart of the Médoc, was renamed: Château Mouton Rothschild.
Baron Philippe de Rothschild, Baron Nathaniel’s great-grandson, took over the estate in 1922. Two years later he insisted that all the wine should be bottled at the château.
The decision to bottle the wine at the château means more storage space is needed there. The spectacular 100-metre-long Grand Chai (Great Barrel Hall), designed by the architect Charles Siclis, is built in 1926.