Château Thivin

On 8th June 1877, Zaccharie and Marguerite Geoffray bought Château Thivin and its two hectares of vineyards surrounding the estate (Le Clos). Each succeeding generation has contributed new plots of land to build up the estate and develop the viticultural and wine-making methods. Today, the 5th and 6th generations of the Geoffray family run this small family business, work the estate’s vineyards, and vinify each wine, respecting the terroir of its origin.
The vineyards are primarily situated around the estate on the steep slopes of Mont Brouilly and on the volcanic terroir of the Côte-de-Brouilly cru, but they also have a few plots around the hills in Brouilly and at Quincié, and some Beaujolais Whites in Les Pierres Dorées region.
The château cellar, the first stones for which were laid in 1383, has seen a constant evolution with each generation and today allows modern gravity vinification, which best respects the quality of the grapes throughout the process.
The vat room, modernised in 1977 and then again in 1998 and 2009, is built on the hillside, giving a succession of levels that allow them to make as much use as possible of gravity, so as to avoid using either pumps or conveyors for the grapes.